Stop Eating Coconut Oil!, Says American Heart Association!
Here is why the AHA thinks you should stop cooking with coconut oil....
It's filled with Saturated Fat! Of course, you've heard this before but here's another warning! According to a recent research published by the American Heart Association on the 15th of June 2017, coconut oil contains high amounts of saturated fat (bad fat that causes heart failure, stroke) of 82g per 100g and a very low amount of monounsaturated fat (good fat) of 6g per 100g and polyunsaturated fat 2g per 100g. Below is the list by AHA, showing the proportions of fats contained in different types of oils you use everyday;
Read the full document Here
So what type of oil should you consume?
- Consume oils containing high amounts of monounsaturated fat like olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, sunflower oil (high Oleic), safflower oil (high Oleic) and sesame oil, instead of oils high in saturated fat like coconut oil and palm oil.
- You can also use oils high in polyunsaturated fats like corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower, and cottonseed oils instead of coconut oil, palm oil, or hydrogenated vegetable fats.
- Cook with liquid oils instead of butter, lard, or hardened vegetable shortening.
- Eat foods high in unsaturated fats like fatty fish (mackerel, salmon and tuna) instead of red meat or meats high in saturated fat like pork.
- Opt for foods high in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats like avocados, nuts, and olive oil into your salads instead of using products high in saturated fats like mayonnaise for your salad dressing.
- Try to cut down excessive oil usage while cooking. Eat more of grilled, baked or steamed foods as opposed to deep fried or roasted foods.
- You can also try the new plant-sterol margarine products.
If you have developed the habit of consuming deep fried or roasted foods, it's time to take a hike. Always check product information before you buy. Change you eating habits now and stay healthy. Also, don't forget to add some work out routine to get rid of the bad fat already stored in your body.
Live healthy, stay fabulous and have a great weekend!